STEM Lessons & Challenges, Grade 3
Develop your third grade students’ creative problem-solving skills with STEM Lessons and Challenges. Students apply science, technology, engineering, and math concepts to solve real-world problems.
Every grade 3 unit is focused on a hands-on challenge and guides students to work together as engineers to design, prototype, test, and refine their creations.
- The 15 grade-appropriate STEM challenges target life, Earth, and physical science concepts.
- Every unit is focused on a hands-on challenge in which students apply the STEM process of plan, create, test, and redesign.
- No-prep lessons and easy-to-find materials help you fit STEM learning into the busy school day.
- Teacher overview pages—Tips and directions for preparing students to complete a STEM challenge, as well as a materials list that suggests readily available items to gather.
- Reading selections for background knowledge—Foundational information that is relevant to the challenge that students are completing.
- Visual real-world examples—A visual literacy page with real-world images relevant to the STEM challenge.
- A STEM challenge overview—Introduces the specific task and goal of each STEM challenge and provides space for students to brainstorm.
- Design process worksheets—Activities guide students to plan, create, test, and evaluate their creation.
- A redesign page to evaluate their design—The worksheet guides students through each step of the design process and provides space to document plans, materials, results, evaluations, and revisions.
- Anemometer (Earth Science Concept: Atmosphere)
- Spider Web (Life Science Concept: Structural Engineering )
- Mini-Fridge (Physical Science Concept: Thermal Energy)
STEM Lessons and Challenges fosters students’ critical thinking, innovation, communication, and peer collaboration!